* (Fall) teaching LIN 571 “Field Methods”
(More about Field Methods) I have taught graduate students field methods by collecting data from signed languages other than ASL: Iranian Sign Language or Zaban Eshareh Irani (ZEI), Japanese Sign Language or Nihon Shuwa (JSL/NS), Ho Chi Minh Sign Language, Omani Sign Language, Mexican Sign Language or Lengua de Señas Mexicana (LSM). More recently, I have shifted our focus to documenting the ASL communities because there’s plenty to do. Last year we did O5S5 ASL. Looking forward to seeing what we’ll do this year!
*(Fall) co-teaching LIN 595 “Corpus Linguistics” with Ryan Lepic 🤩
* (Spring – SABBATICAL leave, baby!) Writing about “O5S5: Documenting the experiences of the ASL communities in the time of COVID-19” which started with my Field Methods students in the fall of 2021 and continued with students taking sociolinguistics under Emily P. Shaw in spring of 2022
* working with two lovely PhD students (Kiva Bennett and Donovan Catt) in varying stages of their dissertations (Nozomi Tomita defended her dissertation in the spring of 2021, Heather Hamilton and Ardavan Guity in the spring of 2022 🙌)
* staying active with my work for SLAAASh, particularly the ASL Signbank
* Slowly but steadily (🤞🏼) contributing to Philadelphia Signs and GUDA projects
* Preparing data for sharing from “A Motivated Look at Indicating Verbs in ASL” (MoLo for short) and O5S5ASL and writing up data statements
* A chapter “W(h)ither the ASL Corpus” with Ryan Lepic and Emily Shaw for Ella Wehyrmeyer’s edited collection “Gaining ground in sign language corpus linguistics” – out now
* A chapter on ASL phonology with the amazing Corrine Occhino
* About the ASL Signbank!
(* Forever dreaming about writing up a few posts for Acadeafic especially for some recent presentations and ongoing projects.)
On top of the usual departmental and university activities like attending meetings and so on…
* IRB Chair
* ELAN training upon request
* On the editorial boards for Sign Language Studies and Journal of ASL Languages and Literature
All of this is while I’m being a mama to two young boys in elementary school and a wife to the brilliant Oz Cameron.
Last updated March 27, 2023