(More about Field Methods) I have taught graduate students field methods by collecting data from signed languages other than ASL: Iranian Sign Language or Zaban Eshareh Irani (ZEI), Japanese Sign Language or Nihon Shuwa (JSL/NS), Ho Chi Minh Sign Language, Omani Sign Language, Mexican Sign Language or Lengua de Señas Mexicana (LSM).
* Also teaching LIN 731 “Phonology 2” where basically I recruit students to learn how to use ELAN and segmental notation systems (mwahaha!). Seriously though, this class is all about looking at data and thinking about how to represent phonetic detail for research
* Working with undergraduate students for LIN480: Research Experience
* working with five lovely PhD students (Nozomi Tomita , Heather Hamilton, Kiva Bennett, Donovan Catt and Ardavan Guity) in varying stages of their dissertations
* staying active with my work for SLAAASh, particularly the ASL Signbank
* Slowly but steadily (🤞🏼) contributing to Philadelphia Signs and GUDA projects
* Working on a new research project sponsored by Gallaudet RSIA priority research grants with Emily Shaw, Miako Villanueva and Paul Dudis “A Motivated Look at Indicating Verbs in ASL” (MoLo for short) with Kearsy Cormier consulting (site coming soon!)
* Attending so many virtual conferences (😭 Can you say #Emboxed Discourse?), e.g., HDLS14 was amazing!
* I’m writing a chapter about ethics with Nick Palfreyman for the upcoming 2021 edition of Sociolinguistics in Deaf Communities series tentatively titled “Signed Language Corpora”
* I’m also editing the book mentioned above “Sign Language Corpora” with Jordan Fenlon (2021
* I’m writing a chapter on doing work in data management for signed language acquisition for “The Open Handbook of Linguistic Data Management and Archiving” edited by Andrea Berez-Kroeker, Bradley McDonnell and Eve Okura Koller (should be released in 2021)
(* Dreaming about writing up a few posts for Acadeafic especially for some recent presentations and ongoing projects.)
On top of the usual departmental and university activities like attending meetings and so on…
* IRB Chair
* ELAN training upon request
* On the editorial boards for Sign Language Studies and Journal of ASL Languages and Literature
All of this is while I’m being a mama to two young boys in elementary school and a wife to the brilliant Oz Cameron.
Last updated December 16, 2020